Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Picnics

I love this time of the year. I’ll take hot summer days over cold winter days any time. Same thing when I was a kid (well except for Christmas which happens to be in the winter)

During the school year I really looked forward to summer vacation. Not that I didn’t like going to school but I liked not being there better ha ha.

When I was approximately age 8 or 9, Johnny and I started to spend some time in July or August  visiting grandma and grandpa Maloney on the farms ( there were two farms, one was at Bath Ontario, and the other at Mount St. Patrick.) but most of the time was spent at home. We didn’t go on too many big trips but I didn't really care because I had the best family in the world.

Growing up, on Isabelle Street in Hull, picnics with mom and dad, Johnny, Jimmy and Patty were a summertime staple. My favourite spot was the Garden of Eatin’ in the Gatineau Park. After finishing the delicious meal mommy packed for us, we kids who were big enough would run over to the stream which was trickling down the hillside, and jump from rock to rock. I think I remember a wooden walking bridge over the stream to the other side with Jimmy walking over it but I’m not sure. It might have been at another picnic location. We went on this type of excursion at least once a week.

We even had picnics in places where people don’t usually have them. When I was about eight or nine, I remember helping mommy pack up a basket with goodies to take to the Ottawa Exhibition. There were lots of outdoor tables and benches on the grounds near the back entrance and we were always able get one. Food was too expensive at the Ex, although I do remember us kids each receiving a free bags of goodies and toys at the Pure Food Building. And mommy and daddy always bought us a candy apply or candy floss. Not too good for our teeth but we didn’t worry about that.

I also remember picnics with Uncle Bob and Aunt Adie when I visited my cousin Sheila for a few days each summer. On one particular occasion when they took us to lake Phillip in the Gatineau, I ended up with a blood sucker stuck to the bottom of my foot. That was really gross and I went berserk. I think uncle Bob and aunt Adie panicked for a minute when they heard me scream. Thankfully uncle Bob knew what to do. He sprinkled salt on it and the disgusting creature fell off.

And of course there was the backyard picnic. Having sandwiches and freshie on a blanket, with a beautiful fragrance carried by a light summer breeze made the world seem perfect.

Summer evenings were awesome  too. After supper mommy would let us sit on the back steps in our jammies and look at the fireflies. I don't see them much anymore. I loved sitting there in my baby doll pyjamas having a treat. Sometimes it was just soda biscuits in a cup with milk and sugar on top. This was called a choppy and it was delicious. I often wondered if other people knew about choppies, and do they make baby doll pyjamas any more?

Occasionally mommy would let Johnny and I sleep for a while in the backyard if it was a really hot evening. Patty and Jimmy were too little and Paula and Barbara weren’t born yet. I don’t remember us having sleeping bags, just a ground sheet with some blankets.This was usually in August, because I remember seeing shooting stars. Eventually we would get spooked and make our way to our cozy beds where daddy would tell us a bedtime story. Daddy’s tales were awesome. He made them up as he went along. After that Mommy would tuck us in; Johnny in the top bunk and me in the bottom.

Drive in Movies were the best! They were like picnics at night because mommy usually packed a lunch to take with us. We had to wear our pyjamas  in case we fell asleep but I think we managed to stay awake most of the time. At intermission time we would have a bathroom break and occasionally we were permitted to buy popcorn. After that we usually had time to play on the swings until the next movie. There were always two movies and at least one cartoon. The sound was pretty bad but we didn’t really care.

I sure do miss those days. I think as I get older I miss them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Aunt Carole - a few of my memories

 I tried to offer these thoughts in the Condolence book but it didn't work.  To Carole's husband Yvon and the children, and to her b...