Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Christmas Memories

We kids knew from when we were very little, that the birth of Jesus which we celebrated each year with our families and friends was really special. I remember daddy saying that when we invite Jesus into our hearts we will experience joy even in the midst of our difficulties. Christmas was about loving one another the way Jesus loves us, be  nice to your brothers and sisters“ was used by mommy a lot when we were growing up but more so around Christmas I think'. Our parents said that it was not about receiving gifts but truth be told, we did look forward to Santa’s arrival on Christmas Eve and hoped he didn’t forget what we asked for and that he didn’t get lost either. 

Mommy started the baking really early. I remember the Christmas cakes, squares and cookies of every kind; oatmeal cookies, molasses cookies, chocolate chip cookies, shortbread you name it: mommy made it. There were date squares, ritzy bars, applesauce cake, donuts, minced meat pies, apple pies. 

We had a large freezer in the basement on Isabelle Street where mommy stored these succulent dainties until they were needed. Occasionally we kids would sneak downstairs and check out the frozen goodies for a sample or two or three. The trick was to rearrange the container so there didn’t appear to be anything missing. The frozen shortbread cookies were my favourite.

Christmas cards were sent out early. I remember helping mommy address the cards at the kitchen table. She wrote a personal note on each card she sent:  I 'm sure she sent out 100 of them.  
Cards received, were hung on strings from one side of the living room to the other side. 

Before supper, every evening at 5 during the weeks leading up to Christmas, mommy turned on the radio (CFRA) so we could listen to the adventures of Santa Clause and, Alfie, Andy and Little Mary, and Crakko (the bad elf). These episodes were so magical and mysterious: we kids just loved them.

Finding a nice Christmas tree was daddy’s job and he usually got one about a week before Christmas. I remember one of the times that daddy took Johnny and me and Jimmy and Patty to find a tree. He parked the car along the highway, grabbed the saw or the axe ( I'm not sure what he used ) and we trekked through the snow taking turns pulling Patty in the sled while trying to avoid bunny droppings in the snow. After daddy found a tree to his liking, he cut it down and then dragged it back to the car, put it in the trunk and secured it with heavy cord. When we got home daddy usually cut a piece off of top because we always seemed to get a tree that was too high:  they looked smaller in the woods. After that daddy set it up in in the living room in a special tree stand which he made that had lots of room for water. 

Finally we kids helped mommy and daddy decorate it. The best thing about the tree was the smell. When the tree was up it really felt like Christmas. I don't think we put lights on the indoor tree but daddy always put lights on some of the bushes in the front of the house.

At times when we didn't have a car daddy would buy a tree from somebody who was selling them close to our house. 


The Nativity set that daddy built was put out around the time the Christmas tree was installed and decorated. Sometimes it was on a table, sometimes if there was room it was put on the floor under the tree. Baby Jesus even had straw to sleep on. 

Attending Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve was always a wonderful experience. Even though it was about a mile to our Church, Our Lady of the Annunciation in Hull, I remember walking there on many occasions, with mommy and daddy, in the winter as well as in the summer. I clearly remember  the street lights shining through the falling snow one time when we were walking to Church and I am pretty sure it was Christmas Eve. Daddy was pulling Patty in the sleigh. We didn’t always have a car. 

Mass on Christmas Eve was wonderful. Mommy and daddy had to get tickets ahead of time to ensure that we all had a seat. The church was always packed. There were always so many people that we usually didn’t get our favourite pew near the middle on the left. I remember we often had to sit closer to the back but that was ok. I loved the Christmas music too. 

After mass, mommy and daddy always took us up to see baby Jesus in the manger before going home.

When we got home on this one particular Christmas Eve, Santa Claus hadn’t arrived yet, so we kids were whisked off to bed. Santa Claus waits till children are asleep before coming down the chimney or through the front door, whatever the case may be, so it was important to fall asleep quickly. After saying my prayers, mommy tucked me in and I remember trying hard to fall asleep but at the same time hoping that I would hear the sound of Santa's sleigh in the distance before I drifted off. I dared not take a peek out the window in case he saw me and passed us by. 

Christmas Morning was always magical. We kids usually sneaked down to the living room early to see what Santa had left under the tree and then waited patiently for mommy and daddy to wake up.  Every year our stockings which we had lined up on the back of the couch on Christmas Eve were filled to the top. We usually got an orange an apple, some nuts and some Christmas candy. We didn't use fancy stockings like kids used today: just our everyday knee socks. Under the tree were beautifully wrapped presents, and I thought I was going to burst waiting for mommy and daddy. I think I was usually up before Johnny. Sometimes daddy was in the kitchen making his special stuffing for the turkey that seemed to cook all day. I don’t know why it took so long.

When everyone was up mommy and daddy handed out the presents. We didn’t just rip the paper off either. We carefully unwrapped each gift, so that the beautiful paper could be used again. Every year each of us kids received flannelette pyjamas, slippers, socks, usually a game, maybe a toboggan. I usually got a doll. I wish I had kept some of them: I still like dolls

One Christmas, daddy went down to the basement after we opened our presents and excitedly came up the stairs. “Santa Claus left something for Johnny and Maureen in the basement” he said.  We hurried down to find an electric train set for Johnny and a beautiful doll house for me. I will never forget how excited we were.

Oh and how we looked forward to the best Christmas dinner you can imagine with daddy’s amazing stuffed turkey and mommy’s mashed potatoes and gravy and carrots and cranberry sauce. For dessert we almost always had mommy’s delicious homemade plum pudding with caramelized sauce. It was melt in your mouth delicious.

When dinner was over and after helping to dry the dishes we all hurried to put on our new cozy pyjamas and slippers and together we would watch a Christmas special on TV. In those days there was always a Christmas program about the birth of Jesus. Not so much anymore. After that, we said our prayers and went to bed. I remember the simple prayer mommy taught me.
“God bless me and make a good girl and God bless, mommy and daddy and Johnny and Jimmy and Patty, and grandma and grandpa and granny and grandpa and all my aunts and uncles and cousins  and all my friends and everybody else Amen” 

We often had visitors, mostly relatives, during the Christmas season and there was no shortage of succulent desserts. 

A
day or 2 after Christmas if we had a car, we often different Churches to see the different cribs. Some were spectacular and some were very simple but all were beautiful.


As I grew older and Paula and Barbara were added to our family, our traditions were much the same: our bedtime prayer got longer because there were more people to pray for. We always had a real tree, mommy baked tons of goodies and sent out oodles of Christmas cards, we usually went to midnight mass, but on Christmas morning it was Paula and Barbara who waited anxiously for the rest of us to get up

1 comment:

  1. Moe I'm not sure how patient we were on Christmas morning. At least I wasn't! It really was magical.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Aunt Carole - a few of my memories

 I tried to offer these thoughts in the Condolence book but it didn't work.  To Carole's husband Yvon and the children, and to her b...